MRI done. T1 showed hematopoietic marrow, t2 showed nothing. Is there anything wrong?

I had an mri of my back and the t1 showed some probable hematopoietic marrow, but the t2 showed nothing. If there were something really wrong would it be picked up by the t2 image also? Also, the probable hematopoietic matter showed as diffusely low signal.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 2 hours later

T1 weighted (T1W) images are more sensitive than T2 weighted (T2W) images in picking up bone marrow abnormality.

If they have done inphase and opposed phase imaging, then that can help.

And yes, the red marrow conversion (hematopoietic marrow) will be low signal on T1W sequences.

If you have images, can u send one T1W and one T2W sagittal image so that I can see and try to explain it to you in better way? That would also be able to guide you further.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: MRI done. T1 showed hematopoietic marrow, t2 showed nothing. Is there anything wrong? 22 minutes later
I appreciate your response...I dont have access to the images at the moment...I was just a little concerned because everything I read on the internet said that these low signal images could also be myeloma. But I guess for someone my age, 43, with no other symptoms, and a normal CBC, the likelihood that it would be hematopoietic marrow would probably be much greater than something like myeloma. Is that correct?
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes absolutely and you need not worry . The fact that your CBC is normal and you have no other symptoms, it is very less likely that you could have something like myeloma.

However it is advisable to find out the cause for marrow re conversion which physiologically should be in a setting of anemia.
Hope that helps