Lump under jaw. Swollen lymph node. How long will it stay? Chances of cancer?

hi i noticed a lump under my jaw i went to the doctors and he said it was a swollen lymph node how long can they be swollen for my mum says hers are up all the time could i be touching a gland at all?
i feel fine not weight lost no fevers in good health everything i type into google brings up cancer and its scarying me help!! this lump doesnt hurt
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

What you are dealing with is very likely a normal lymph node which is reacting to some degree of irritation. Sometimes lymph nodes do get slightly larger in response to infection or some type of allergen in the environment such as dust or pollen. In addition if you press or squeeze of lymph node it can also become larger.

In your case you're otherwise very healthy with no systemic illnesses or complaints which are suggestive of some type of disease process. I would strongly discourage you from using Google to determine what you're dealing with. Very commonly the use of the Internet will inspire a significant degree of anxiety which is not warranted. In your case I am very confident that what you're dealing with is a reactive lymph node. Reactive lymph node's come and go from time to time. I would expect that this swollen lymph node will slowly resolve over the next 3 to 6 weeks.

I would recommend that for the time being you focus on good nutrition as well as healthy exercise. Try not to focus on this swollen lymph node and channel your energy into positive thinking meditation or yoga.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert