Lump on the lower right abdomen, pain in abdomen while coughing. Chances of hernia?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hi i have lower right abdominal pain when i cough and noticed a small lump on my lower right abdominal area
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

On reading you complaints most probable diagnosis would be abdominal inguinal hernia.

A hernia is an opening or weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. This defect causes a bulging of the abdominal wall. This bulging is usually more noticeable when the abdominal muscles are tightened, thereby increasing the pressure in the abdomen. Any activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure can worsen a hernia; examples of such activities are lifting, coughing, or even straining to have a bowel movement. Imagine a barrel with a hole in its side and a balloon that is blown up inside the barrel. Part of the inflated balloon would bulge out through the hole. The balloon going through the hole is like the tissues of the abdomen bulging through a hernia.

The most common location for hernias is the groin (or inguinal) area. There are several reasons for this tendency. First, there is a natural anatomical weakness in the groin region which results from incomplete muscle coverage. Second, the upright position of human posture results in a greater force pushing toward the bottom of the abdomen, thereby increasing the stress on these weaker tissues. The combination of these factors over time breaks down the support tissues, enlarging any preexisting hole, or leads to a tear, resulting in a new hole.

A hernia repair requires surgery. There are several different procedures that can be used for fixing any specific type of hernia Hence I advice you to consult a surgeon and get examined to confirm the diagnosis.

Please come up with follow ups , if any.

Dr.Mahesh

Follow-up: Lump on the lower right abdomen, pain in abdomen while coughing. Chances of hernia? 2 hours later
THANKYOU FOR THE REPLY , I WAS DOING STOMACH EXERCISES AND NOTICED THE PAIN IN THE LOWER RIGHT ABDOMINAL AREA, AND SEEMED TO GET WORSE AS I DID MY EXERCISES DAY TO DAY, I THINK I GOT THE HERNIA BEFORE I STARTED DOING MY EXERCISES, BUT THE STOMACH CRUNCHES I WAS DOING DEFINITLY ERRATATED IT , NO MORE STOMACH CRUNCHES FOR NOW

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

You are right. Excercises that raise abdominal pressure (Abdominal crunches) increase it. Hence dont do such activities for now.

I encourage you to visit your surgeon. A detailed examination will confirm this possibility. He/she shall guide you through the next step in the management.

Hope I have answered all your queries to your satisfaction. Let me know if you have anymore queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh