Lump on neck, swollen and tender glands, dizziness, throat pain. Exhaustion and body pain. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
I have noticed a large lump on the left side of my neck, and my glands are swollen and tender. I have noticed the lump for about a week now, and I'm getting more frequent dizzy spells. My throat hurts but I have no cough. I've had strep throat and tonsilitis growing up, and I'm certain these are not what I have. I'm not physically sick (not coughing, sneezing, fever) but I am exhausted and have a sore body. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The lump on the (L) side of your neck could be a mere lymph node with acute inflammation, which is termed as lymphadenitis.

Lymphadenitis is a response to benign, local, or generalized infections (mostly of viral pathology and self -limiting). In the process of infection, it may affect a single node or a group of nodes in the same region and which may be either unilateral or bilateral.

The commonest cause of enlargement of the lymph nodes in the neck is an hence the lymph nodes also disappear once the infection resolves. In the former situation, it is usually not very troublesome, but, if it is super added with bacterial infection or malignancy then it requires appropriate treatment of the cause.

Most of the above symptoms mentioned by you could be related to the either acute URTI or non-specific infection in the neck. Do not worry! You need to consult your doctor for a thorough examination of the throat and neck. This can be easily managed with appropriate antibiotics and symptomatic medicines.

Dizziness may or may not be related to this enlarged lump. An ultrasound of the neck confirms any pressure effect on the greater blood vessels supplying to the brain. A complete blood check-up has to be done to look for reduced hemoglobin and certain vital minerals (such as sodium) in the body.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon