Lump in throat, drainage at back of throat, swollen lymph nodes, nose blocked. Scared.

Question
Spent night at a friends house was rather cold week before xmas, woke up with a lump in my throat for a few days and had I assume whats drainage in back of my throat for a day or so then occasional blowing the nose. 2 days ago my lymph nodes only at the L part of the jaw are swollen they arent painful and can move a little and not really hard. I looked in the back of the throat last night and there was nasal drainage and where the tonsils used to be the stuff there seems a little swollen along with that drainage being back in those pockets. Not sick now and this is scaring me.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Swollen tonsils with palpable neck glands is suggestive of a throat infection. There is nothing to worry as this can be easily treated with the help of medicines.
Usually it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.
You can start with salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.
Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief and you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Lump in throat, drainage at back of throat, swollen lymph nodes, nose blocked. Scared. 2 hours later
My tonsils were taken out years ago though. so what else could it be?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Inflammation of the throat what is described as pharyngitis can still happen even though your tonsils were removed long ago. The symptoms you mention typically suggest the same. The treatment still involves systemic antibiotics along with warm saline gargles.

You can consult your ENT specialist or your primary physician for appropriate prescription.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Lump in throat, drainage at back of throat, swollen lymph nodes, nose blocked. Scared. 2 days later
What would you suggest to get swelling down other than vitamin c? What could I get over the counter?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
Hello.

Nice to hear from you again.

To decrease the swelling, the best thing would be gargles with warm saline.

You can also add dispersible tablets of aspirin to the warm saline for gargles to have an earlier relief.

Avoid hot and spicy foods and stressing your vocal cords. You can also have lozenges to soothe the throat irritation.

Hope this is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.
Wishing you a trouble free early recovery.

Regards.