Lump in neck above collar bone. Was recommended aspiration of the area. Should I see An ENT or a dermatologist for this issue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I suddenly developed a lump in my neck slightly above the collar bone--I had been doing pt for neck issues--the ent immediately ordered an aspiration of the area --it was done at the hospital and the pathologist dx is nodular fasciitis---and slide results on that day were clear ------ent will see me in 3 weeks---I am not sure which specialist handles this issue--I always prefer a conservative approach and willing to wait the few weeks----the hard lump is there but with the aspiration it is not noticeable andn it physically appears smaller-----just trying to determine is I am on the correct path----the ent it an excellent physician-----thanks for your imput---
I just want to determine that I am with the correct physician----suggestions to me have been made to see a dermatologist----and I wonder if the pt for my neck using tens and hands on physical therapy could have created an inflammation----the pt helped my neck and have done pt for years with great success and meds not needed -----
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Hi and wlcome to XXXXXXX Thank you fo your querry.
Of course you dont need to see dermatologist. ENT or surgeon know much more about subcutaneous lesions, its removal and hystologic analysis. In this area most common subcutaneous benign tumors are lipomas, atheroma, fibroma or swollen lymph node. Nodular fasciits is nonspecific finding and it tells us nothing but it is good that malignancy is ruled out. I suggest to wait and see will it progress or become inflammated. IF yes, it should be surgically removed. It can be done in local anatshesia and is simple procedure.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help