Ask a Dentist   »  

Lump in mouth on gum line, is hard. Not a tooth infection. Why does it hurt when touched?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have a strange lump in my mouth on the right side above the gum line, closer to my cheek? My dentist took an xray and said it was not a tooth infection. It hurts only when I touch it and it feels pretty hard. Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The lump you are describing appears to be one of following:

-Gingivitis followed by periodontitis- This is inflammation of the part of the gum due to various reasons like plaque, caries in tooth, trauma to gums, infection of gums, periodontal cyst. Most of these can be managed conservatively with antibiotics and removal of causative agent like plaque or repairing decaying tooth, mouth rinsing solutions etc,

- since your dentist says its decaying tooth, he might try to salvage tooth by performing root canal treatment. If its not correctable and too much decayed, dentist might extract tooth to remove your problem.

-Another possibility could be minor salivary glands retention leading to salivary retention cyst. This lump will be more towards cheek than gum. It subsides on its own. If not. It can be removed by simple procedure.

- Meanwhile since it is paining please use pain killers like diclofenac, nimesulide. Lump will reduce soon. If not please follow above instruction.

I hope answered your queries. Please accept my answer if no further quety.

Regards.
Dr.Mahesh Koregol