Lump in jawline, swollen glands, chest infection. Skin has reddened. Had suffered facial paralysis. Cancerous? Benign acoustic neuroma?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a lump on the right side of my mid jawline, I have had this since nov 2011, had two courses of antibiotics for swollen gland and a chest infection and this lump still persists,my skin is reddened and its eems to take on different sizes throughout the day and is immobile,it starts to become irritated when its played with, I suffered a facial paralysis 4 years ago on the right side of my face with loss of sensation after wards for two years and cranial nerve pains,brain and spinal mris revealed no sign of ms so it was assumed I had a belles palsy,it seems too coincidental now too not be related,should i worry, I take 50mcg of thyroxine for my thyroid daily andfexofenadine for an all over itch after showering daily. Should I be worried and what is the likelyhood of this being cancerous, there is cancer in the family which seems to have skipped a generation on my grans side however my uncle (mums brother has had a benign acoustic neuroma.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A lump on the right side off your jawline which is immobile and changes in size during the day is likely to be a cystic swelling of the salivary gland.
It can also be a swollen lymph gland. In most of the cases such swellings are benign and are not worrisome.
But impacted sialoliths or infection of the glands needs to be ruled out. In case the cyst is large, resection might be needed.
You need to consult your dentist for a thorough evaluation and further treatment. Physical examination is imperative to know the nature of the lump. An MRI scan of the area will help in identifying the extent of spread of the lump.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Lump in jawline, swollen glands, chest infection. Skin has reddened. Had suffered facial paralysis. Cancerous? Benign acoustic neuroma? 12 hours later
Many Thanks for your answer,the lump is actually above the jawline more in the cheek and is about 4-5 cms in size from above the jawline to approx the top of my bottom row of molars with my mouth closed, will get it checked out anyway,I may have to register with another dentist but just in case I assume my gp in uk will be eable examine it,I have private me3dical ins through work anyway so as soon as I am reffered to a specialist I can contact my insurance company.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Getting it examined from a dentist will be helpful. It seems to be a salivary gland swelling. You can get it examined from your primary physician who can refer you to an oral surgeon.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.