Lump in armpit, pains to touch, no redness, no sickness

I woke up this morning with a bebe size lump right in the middle of my left armpit. It only hurts if I manipulate it but it does not move around/ You cannot see it by looking. It does not look to be anything from shaving, there is no redness. I have not been sick at all....
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

The kind of lump you are describing is probably something just under the skin. It can be a blocked hair follicle (with resultant swelling of the gland), a small collection of fat or a small lymph node. Normally lymph nodes are found in armpits of healthy individuals and it is nothing to worry about.

If the size increases over time or any redness or pain develops, then you may need to consult a doctor. Otherwise it needs observation only. It is unlikely to be anything serious.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you have any doubts.