Lump between collar bone, weight gain, hair fall, bloating, joint pain

ENT Specialist
I have a fleshy lump (about an inch across) inbetween my two collar bones at the front and the base of my neck. I'm wondering if it's my thyroid? I have looked up where the thyroid gland sits and this lump seems a tiny bit below that point - it's almost where a man's necktie would sit, if you know what I mean. It's very visible (necklace used to sit in a little "hollow" there and now if I put the same necklace sticks out and does not sit correctly). I have put on A LOT of unexplained weight in the last 12 months too and my hair is thin and falls out easily. My stomach is bloated and I get dull aches in my joints and under both ribs. I am tired. I am a 42 year old female with a fairly active lifestyle. Is this where the thyroid gland is? I am afraid it could be something sinister.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A thyroid mass or a solitary nodule will move up and down as you swallow. It will not move on protruding your tongue out.

2. There is no substitute for a direct neck examination.The surest way to confirm the origin of your neck mass is to get an Ultrasonund (USG) Neck. This is usually followed by an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology). You should also get your Thyroid Function Tests done. if the mass is confirmed as thyroid tissue, furthert investigations can be done later.

3. A swelling low down in the base of the neck may also arise from the Suprasternal Space of 'Burns' (nomenclature). Therefore it might also turn out to be a lymph node, cold abscess, ectopic thyroid or parathyroid tissue, suprasternal bursitis, cysts, dermoids , vascular swellings or nerve related lumps, most will be benign and not sinister.

4. You must begin your investigations to quickly arrive at a definite diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.