Lump below ear, fills like cyst, minimal pain

I have lump that that swells on the back of my jaw bone below my right ear its happened a couple times now the last three weeks. it last about a hour or 2 it fills like a cyst but is the size of a golf ball the pain is very minimal
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1)     It can be due to submandibular gland swelling which is due to an obstruction in the salivary duct commonly due to a stone.

2)     Second possibility is of parotid gland infection which can be due to mumps or parotitis due to bacterial or viral causes.

3)     Third possibility is of any stone in the salivary gland or a benign cyst of the area.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

You can also send me the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at the photographs and it will help me in understanding the condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.