Lower lip discoloration, became faded pink. Worried whether it is vitiligo.

lip discolouration :

Myndaughter is 13 yrs old and her lower lip got discoloured , become fade pink, look like inner part of lip color. It is a u shaped patch in middle of lower lip.
I am worried whether it is vitiligo but the color is pink , not white. no other body part has any discolouration.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 13 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Your question is a very good one & I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) How long she has been having this?
2) Does she has a habit of licking lips?
3) Does she has any symptoms?
4) On giving firm pressure does the lesion becomes de-pigmented/white?
5) Any history of thyroid problem in her?
6) Does she has a habit of licking any pencil or pen she uses while studying?
7) Is the lesion soft to feel or there is any kind of hardness felt?
8) Any history of photo-sensitivity (itching or burning when she goes out in sunlight)?
9) Whats her normal skin type or color?

It is very important to see the lesions clinically here. If you can send me a close up picture of the lesion then probably I can help you further in this. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

But with history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.
One is a pre-vitiligo and the other is a allergic contact dermatitis or inflammatory response to some thing she is licking .Another possibility is of cheilitis.

Perhaps a visit to competent dermatologist for clinic examination can also confirm the diagnosis.

Kindly reply me with the answers & the picture as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda