Lower left abdominal pain near kidneys, urinary tract infection, anomalies in kidneys

hello Doctor, I have some pain in my lower left abdomen area & also on the backside- near the kidneys, what could be the reason?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Follow-up: Lower left abdominal pain near kidneys, urinary tract infection, anomalies in kidneys 1 minute later
Also, there is some numbness in my left palm as well since yesterday
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 13 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The commonest source for pain in the lower abdomen and back is from the kidnyes or intestines .The causes from the kidney could be due to a stone in the urinary tract , infection in the urinay tract or any other structural anamolies in the kidneys.

The pains due to kidney pathology will most of times dull or sharp , intermittent and related to urination ( either increase or decrease after urination ),here the pain may last unless underlying pathology is treated.Whereas if from intestines the pain would be due to intestinal gas and present with gripping type and radiating pain.

I would advice you to take carminatives ( to treat gas ) like Gelusil for three days from now if not subsided then you my be needing investigations like a Urine routine and a Ultrasound abdomen to rule out kidney and other problems.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Take care , Bye