Ask a Dentist   »  

Lower jaw seems to hang while at rest. Is it an abnormality?

I have a question regarding my teeth position.
My lower jaw at rest or after closing my mouth is sort of hanging. There is some sort of space between upper and lower teeth to the extent that i can slide tip of the tongue in between.The space would be between 3-4 mm. (See attached P1.png) If I try to bring the lower jaw a bit inside so that the space is not visible and the teeth are not touching,(See attached P2.png) my face appears a bit protruded and looks really awful. I feel as if the length of the face has decreased a bit. I think the reason behind this is that the portion between the nose and upper lip is a bit thick as compared to most people.
I have tried to notice the closing position (when they close the mouth) in my family members and people in general
and it seems that their upper and lower teeth may not be touching but also there is no space.
Is my condition an abnormality?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I appreciate you for providing your pictures to us.

I thoroughly examined your pictures , I would like you to know that the sometimes due to hereditary factor generalized spacing is present when one closes his/ her mouth.

In your case spacing is present throughout , upper and lower teeth do not occlude , this condition is called generalized open bite.

We can correct this condition during teenage years by performing an orthodontic or a jaw surgery.
At your age, jaw surgery is the only option . But I do not think there is any need for a surgery in your case until it bothers you a lot.

Please be informed that it is not an abnormality, this condition is seen in 10% of the population.

Kindly send me your further queries if you have any so that I can guide you better.

I hope this answer was useful,

I wish you good health,
Follow-up: Lower jaw seems to hang while at rest. Is it an abnormality? 45 minutes later

Thanks for your answer.
I do not think the "open bite" is due to hereditary factor as none of my parents seem to have. Could it be possible as I had to undergo surgery as a teenager when I had to have false teeth?

This "open bite" does not bother me at all. This is more comfortable than when my lower jaw is pulled in. Part of the reason is that my appearance is distorted. Why is it so?

The only concern for me was that I felt a bit abnormal. But since i am convinced now its not the case, it doesnt bother me at all.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

I am glad to hear that you got your answer,

The appearance of your lips and facial structure is due to the jaw. Our soft tissues model themselves according to the bony structures below it.

The surgery for false teeth cannot be the reason for open bite. If none of your parents have this condition then it might be from oral habits, tongue thrust , finger or thumb sucking, etc., may be responsible for it . But it should no more be your concern as it does not interfere with chewing or speech.

I hope you are satisfied with the answers provided here. Please close this discussion if you have no more enquiries.

I wish you good health.