Lower back pain, pain in the leg, effect on bladder

Hi I am 21 years old and female lately I have been experiencing really bad lower back pain when ever I stand or sit I also get really painful shooting pains down my right leg which is also effecting my bladder badly
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Lower back pain with shooting pain in the leg with affection of bladder is suggestive of disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression.

A step wise approach is usually considered in treating the symptoms. A disc prolapse can be caused following trauma to your back or, most of the times, without any reason.

An MRI of the spine will help in confirmation of the diagnosis. You need it after a proper physical examination.

You can follow these measures for relief of your symptoms:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting. Prefer to restrict movements that cause pain.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedic Surgeon'.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.