Lower back and sacral pain, lumbar MRI shows disc problems. Scared about bone cancer

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Yes, I have had severe lower back/sacral pain for the past 4-5 years. I had an mri a few years ago, back xrays but I decided to go back to my Dr. last week and she ordered a Lumbar/Sacral MRI since this is where the pain resides. The lumbar mri came back saying I had a few disc problems, but the Sacral MRI was showing that they saw abnormal signals on the bone findings that they need to look at through a bone scan. I am so scared I have bone cancer. Is it normal to give the Bone Scan if they are in doubt, have you ever heard of this before and it coming out negative. I am so scared right now..
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing in.
I can understand your fear, but there is no need to be so. Bone scan is routinely ordered to clarify the findings on MRI. MRI is good for diagnosing disc prolapse and problems with spinal cord and nerves. However, bony problems can not be clearly made out on MRI. Therefore, if there are any signal changes on bone on the MRI, bone scan is ordered to clarify the picture.
Bone scan is ordered not only for cancer, but also to look for infections, fracture, osteoporosis, etc. I have seen many bone scans coming negative for cancer.
So, please do not worry while awaiting the bone scan report.
Wishing you all the best,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist,
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Lower back and sacral pain, lumbar MRI shows disc problems. Scared about bone cancer 11 hours later
Hello, Thank you so much for your response! I really like this service, I found it online just by chance. I have my report and of the lumbar spine
I have L4-5 Dorsolateral dis bulging and facet hypertrophy causing mild left neiruforaminal and bilateral subaticluar spinal stenoses. Central disc protrusion at L5-S1---can this also cause bad pain in the sacral/lumbar area.

As far as the pelvic/sacral mri, they saw small nodular areas of diminished bone density in the sacral wings bilaterally. these are uncertain significiance. but in order to evaluate the possibility of metasttic disease to bone, the bone scan should be considered. I had to pick these reports up this morning and my test is not until tomorrow. Have you ever heard of these findings on an MRI.
My husband died suddenly 10 years ago, so I guess this is why I am so upset because i have 3 children.. Could you please let me know your thoughts, even if I have to pay you another fee. Thank you..
Follow-up: Lower back and sacral pain, lumbar MRI shows disc problems. Scared about bone cancer 0 minute later

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing back. I am pleased to note that this online service is useful to you. This makes our efforts worth it.
Regarding the findings on the lumbar spine MRI, they are minor. You require physiotherapy, including back extension exercises to get better. Your doctor would advise you in more detail after examining you.
Regarding the pelvic/sacral MRI findings, as mentioned, they are of uncertain significance. We routinely come across them and most often they are due to osteoporosis. However, in order to be sure that it is not any infection or cancer, a bone scan is done. To find cancer/metastases is extremely rare in a person not known to have a cancer already.
I can understand your anxiety, as you are a single mother looking after 3 children. I am hopeful that your bone scan would not show up any serious problem.
Wishing you all the best,
Dr Sudhir Kumar, MD DM XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad.

Follow-up: Lower back and sacral pain, lumbar MRI shows disc problems. Scared about bone cancer 34 minutes later
Thank you again, and I really appreciate your follow up with me. As you can tell, I am not very good right now with all of this. I am just so afraid the cancer is in another part of my body and I just did not know it and it now is in my pelvic area.

I have to get this done, so I am praying and hoping for the best.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Thank you very much for your appreciation.
Please keep me informed about the Bone scan report.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Lower back and sacral pain, lumbar MRI shows disc problems. Scared about bone cancer 8 hours later
Thank you again today is the day I am getting it done..

My best wishes are with you.
Dr Sudhir Kumar