Lower abdominal pain, itchy anus and noticed blood in stool. What is the disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello, I have had greenish semi firm stool for months, does not float. Also a small amout of blood on tissue occasionally, but stool is almost acid like which burns anus and causes severe itching after ...for about 5 min.
There is also a dull ache in my lower left abdomin, not very severe but there just the same. thankyou for any ideas you may have. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. XXXXXXX Stool may occur due to a number of benign and non-benign conditions. It may arise because of various ailments like:
1. Celiac Disease,
2. Bacterial or viral or parasitic Infection of gut or gastroenteritis,
3. Eating disorders like abusing laxatives and binge eating,
4. Malabsorption, inflammatory bowel disorders.

Stool usually turns XXXXXXX when food passes through the intestine at more than normal speed. The time of transition of foods through bowel is thus decreased. The stool cannot change color from XXXXXXX to brown due to this short bowel transit time. The bile juice fails to have an impact on the stools and make them change color. Such rapid transit may also cause increased frequency of hunger pangs.
Since it is persistent for more than a month, you definitely need to get evaluated and investigated by your doctor to confirm the diagnosis.

The doctor after thorough physical examination and few tests like stool routine, blood counts, blood sugar, liver and thyroid profile and ultrasound scan of the abdomen may come to an exact conclusion.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.