Lower abdomen pain in left side. Feeling tenderness and relieved after bowel movement. Blood in stool. What could it be?

I have a very specific pain in the lower abdomen on the left side. I can put my finger on the area and feel the tenderness. It is often relieved when I have a bowel movement. My bowel habits remain regular but occasionally I notice a tiny bit of blood on my stool. I have had this for several years I am wondering if it might be a hernia or possibly diverticulosis.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy required to find causeof pain/bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi, ,

I can fully appreciate your concerns.

From the details provided, I suspect the possibility of diverticulosis or a benign growth within the colon. At the same time, malignancy of colon needs exclusion at your age.

I therefore suggest that you discuss your problems with your treating doctor, who will most likely recommend ultrasound and Colonoscopy to directly view the cause of pain and occasional bleeding.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal