Low voltage diagnosed in ECG. What does this mean?

I am a 62 year old women. I had a EKG which said low voltage. I have no other symptoms, physicalnexam and blood work is also good blood pressure and cholesterol are good. What does this mean? Any chance that it is nothing serious?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 4 hours later

As you have clinical examination and blood reports within normal limits, you need not worry about seriousness of the problem. Infact there is no clinical evidence of heart problem.

Low voltage ECG is normal variation which we commonly see. As long as there are no significant ST / T wave changes (which indicate underlying heart problem like ischemia), it is insignificant. Be assured of the fact that low voltage ECG is a normal variation and you need not worry.

Hope this will relieve anxiety about ECG reports. If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Let me know your review by closing this discussion and rating it, if you all your queries are answered and you do not have any other queries.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Low voltage diagnosed in ECG. What does this mean? 20 hours later
Thank you for your re-assuring response. I should also mention that I had an ECG two years ago, and this was not a finding. What could cause it to change, and again, do I need to worry? I'm having minor surgery in a few weeks, and want to know that everything is OK. Thank you for your time.

This is to reassure you that you need not worry about ECG changes.

Though these changes are new in onset, they are clinically not significant.

As you are scheduled for surgery, they will have routine pre operative evaluation which will help.

Sometimes echocardiography is advised before surgery as a precaution.

Rest all your reports indicate that you are in normal health.

Feel free to ask any query if you have.