Low testosterone level, dieting for obesity. Want opinion on testosterone levels.

Hello, I had previously consulted with Dr. Chadan Choudhary about my low testosterone issue. I went to a urologist who performed a blood test and does not believe my low testosterone is something to be worried about. The Dehydroepiandrosterone is 129 with the reference range being 211-249. The total testosterone is now 165 with the reference range of 250-1100. The free testosterone total is 31.8 with a reference range of 35-155. I am 55 years old and am dieting for obesity. I am happy for the encouragement I have received to diet from XXXXXXX I have lost 10 pounds but need to lose another 75. In any case the urologist told me that losing weight will improve the testosterone problem. I would like your opinion on these numbers. Is there anything to be concerned about in relation to the dehydro number? And why is the testosterone lower in relation to the reference range than the free testosterone is to its reference range? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 11 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

The level of testosterone goes down after the age of 40years at the rate of 1% per year which can be increased by losing fat, cutting down on calories and doing a lot of exercise.

Other ways of increasing testosterone level is supplementing by testosterone patches, injection, oral capsules etc. But that increases the probability of prostate cancer and heart diseases.

As I said earlier, with progressing age, testosterone levels tend to fall and are considered normal. There is no need to be concerned about the dehydroepiandrosterone level and also about the total and free testosterone.

So I would advise you to continue losing weight by cutting down on calories and exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Low testosterone level, dieting for obesity. Want opinion on testosterone levels. 18 hours later
Thank you! But how do we understand that there are obese people with testosterone levels in the normal range? I have a friend whose is heavier than I am and has a testosterone level of 330. Also, my PSA was very good at 0.37.
Would low testosterone have anything to do with infertility? I don't remember anything to do with testosterone when my wife and I were working on IVF procedures over 15 years ago that failed. At that time I had something like 1 million sperm with low motility and misshapen (despite the fact that we all know it only takes 1 sperm to fertilize an egg!). My friend with the higher testosterone is also in his mid-50s as I am in age.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 5 hours later
The levels of testosterone vary from person to person.

The role of testosterone in normal development of sperm is that it activates genes in sertoli cells which promote spermatogenesis.

It regulates the hypothalamus pituitary adrenal axis which is important for normal sperm production.

1 million sperm is too low for fertility still you can try IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) and other assisted reproductive techniques.

Your PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) level is within normal range.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Follow-up: Low testosterone level, dieting for obesity. Want opinion on testosterone levels. 1 hour later
What is the sigbificance of dehydroepiondesterone and its changing numbers? And should I worry that as I get older my testosterone will go down further and have effects on aspects of my health? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do not worry about DHEA levels
Yes the level of testesterone may go further down as expected in every male
Low testesterone can cause osteopenia,low sex drive and performance
Please accept the aging process gracefully.

Hope I answered your query in complete.

Wish you good health.