Low sperm count. Infertility chances?

Infertility Specialist
I am a male 27 years of age, and 175cm tall. 85kg in weight. I've noticed that my sperm count is low. Altough i knew i had to abstain 3 days before the test, i did masturbate but DIDN'T ejaculate cause i knew that would have effected the test. Although i didn't ejaculate, would arousing effect the test? I was also questioning about the morphology because it seems that it is showing as 60-65% abnormal.
Basically i would like to know if i can have children or not.
thanks a lot.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 13 hours later

No, sexual arousal does not affect the sperm count at all !

What's your sperm count ? motility ?

Whether the sperm are normally shaped or not - what is called their form or morphology. Ideally, a good sperm should have a regular oval head, with a connecting mid-piece and a long straight tail. If too many sperms are abnormally shaped (round heads; pin heads; very large heads; double heads; absent tails) this may mean the sperm are abnormal and will not be able to fertilise the egg.

Many labs use Kruger "strict " criteria ( developed in South Africa ) for judging sperm normality. Only sperm which are "perfect" are considered to be normal. A normal sample should have at least 15% normal forms (which means that even upto 85% abnormal forms is considered to be acceptable!) Some men are infertile because most of their sperm are abnormally shaped . This is called teratozoospermia ( terato=monster).

Please send me the detailed test result and medical report . You can scan them in as a single Word file and email them to me.

We look forward to helping you to have a baby !

Helping you to build your family !

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Low sperm count. Infertility chances? 1 hour later
I attached the report to this question already however, this is the report's details;

Macroscopic Examination
Volume Result: 5.3 Unit: mL Reference: >2.0
Colour Greyish Yellow
Liquefaction Time Result: <1.0 Unit: Hr Range: <1.0
Agglutination Nil
Count /ml Result: L 10.5 Unit: x10^6/mL Reference:>20
Total Sperm Count in Ejaculate Result: 55.7 Unit: x10^6
Swim Up (Wash) Count Result: 10-12 Unit@: x10^6/mL
Active, Forward Progression Result: 55-60 %
Weak, Non Linear Progression Result: 05-10 %
Non Motile Result: 40 %
Other Cells
Red Blood Cells Nil
Pus Cells Nil
Bacteria Nil
Hours Result: >18
Morphology Abnormal Result: 60-65 %
Anti Sperm Antibodies
Direct MAR Test for IgG
Due to low sperm activity antibody testing is undeterminable.
Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 26 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

I agree you have male factor infertility due to low sperm count ( oligoasthenospermia).

For men with a motile sperm count of more than 5 million in the ejaculate, logically IVF(in vitro fertilisation) would be the first treatment offered. This would allow us to document if the sperm can fertilize the eggs or not.

If fertilisation is documented, then the patient has a good chance of getting pregnant. However, if the motile sperm count is less than 5 million, or if there is total failure of fertilisation in IVF, then the only treatment available is ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection, pronounced "eeksee") or microinjection. ICSI has revolutionised our approach to the infertile man, and it promises the possibility for every man to have a baby, no matter how low his sperm count.

I am sorry, but there is no way of improving sperm count or motility with medicines or surgery.
Please get it re-checked again.

If it is persistently low, then your best option would be

Treatment takes about 20 days. Should I send you the treatment plan ?

Taking treatment at a world-class clinic will maximise your chances of success and give you peace of mind you did your best !

Follow-up: Low sperm count. Infertility chances? 52 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your reply. Just wanted the pure truth from your side nothing more nothing less. I am going to do another test at the end of november but do you think the result will be different? What i want to know is that with the above result, is it true that for me there's no other option but to have either IVF or ICSI to have a baby?
Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 4 days later

Thanks for writing again.

Sperm counts do vary, so it's not a good idea to jump to conclusions based on just one report.

I would suggest you to repeat semen analysis after a month. Abstain from sexual activity including masturbation 3 days before taking the test.

Eat nutritious diet. Keep yourself well hydrated. Exercise regularly. Try to alleviate your anxiety/stress. This will help you to keep your general condition healthy, which directly affects the sexual life.

It would be easy for me to give you exact judgement after looking at your repeat test. Let me know the results once you get the test done.

I hope this answers your query. Awaiting your reply.

Wish you good health.

Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD
Malpani Infertility Clinic, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SBS Road, Colaba.
Bombay 400 005. India