Low motility, low sperm count, small varicocele, did ultrasound. Increase fertility?

I have low motility and a low sperm count. I also have a small varicocele. My doctor is saying that it doesn't need to be repaired, since it's only detected on the ultrasound, and can only barely be detected physically when I strain. But I also read online that it should be repaired if there is discomfort (which there is sometime is, although nothing severe),and can been physically seen.

Should I get my varicocele repaired in order to increase my fertility, or is it not worth it? Will it help? Are there side effects that could make fertility worse?

Thank You.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 11 hours later
Thanks for writing me.

I have gone through your query.

Please check with your urologist about the grade of varicocele.

If it is more than grade 2 and ipsilateral small testes with low count please go for varicocelectomy which can be done by microsurgical technique (laparoscopically/open ).

I prefer to do it microscopically.

The success rate is 60 to 80 percent if done by an experienced urologist.

Side effects are usually very low like bleeding,infection,recurrence etc.. if the surgeon performing the surgery is experienced.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Low motility, low sperm count, small varicocele, did ultrasound. Increase fertility? 7 hours later
Thank you very much for your response, I greatly appreciate it. A couple of more things:

- I checked with my doctor and my files say a grade 1 varicocele. Seeing that I have the following: low motility, low sperm count, and a sometimes dull ache in my testes, is it worth having the surgery? Will it help?

- my ultrasound which confirmed my varicocele was found last year... do varicoceles get worse over time?

- and have you ever heard of the 'MotilityBoost For Men; supplements? Woudl they help?

Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 14 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Please mention exact details of your recent semen analysis and ultrasound of scrotum with colour doppler.

There are only two indications of varicocelectomy,first is low sperm count and second is dull aching pain.Yes varicocele do get worse over time.

If repeat ultrasound confirms varicocele in my opinion you should go for surgery.

MotilityBoost for Men is an all natural male supplement designed to help men naturally improve their sperm motility .MotilityBoost for Men is all natural and has no side effects.It contains Vitamin B6, Vitmain B12 (as Methylcobalamin) and nutrients such as Arginine, N-Acetyl Cysteine, CoQ10 and more.

You can also try medicines to increase sperm count and motility which usually contains coenzyme Q,zinc ,selenium,clomiphene etc and many times these medicines work.