Low grade fever, fifth virus, sweating with cold. Is the temperature low?

My son has had a low grade fever for 11 days. He has had fifth virus, he was burning up and sweating but felt cold and clammy! His temp went from 100.4 down to 97. Tonight! I just checked him again while he is sleeping! It is now 97.4! Should I be alarmed! He is still sweating on his head and scalp
Is this temp of 97 too low and what causes this? I did blood work today and chest dray per his doctor recommendation!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 27 minutes later
Hypothermia is actually defined as a core body temperature of less than 95 degree Fahrenheit. A temperature of anything above that till about 99 degree Fahrenheit is considered normal. As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, please let me know if you had given him a bedtime dose of tylenolol. If yes, then that could have been a cause of the drop in temperature.
I would like to reassure you that your child would be fine. A more accurate picture can be provided once the reports of the blood work and the chest Xray are out.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.