Low grade fever, fatigue, bloating, vaginal hysterectomy, normal ultrasound, blood test shows elevated monocytes, anemia. Treatment ?

Oncologist
Question
Yes, I just had a vaginal hysterectomy two weeks ago and have been having a low grade fever ever since, only between 99 and 100 but enough to make me miserable. I had a vaginal ultrasound to check for clots but it showed none so they sent me home. I am still running the low grade fever, am very fatigued, am bloated and worried. I had c difficile when I had my appendix out so am worried that I might have that or something else related to surgery. I just need an opinion because I'm scared and feel horrible.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Women's Health
Follow-up: Low grade fever, fatigue, bloating, vaginal hysterectomy, normal ultrasound, blood test shows elevated monocytes, anemia. Treatment ? 4 minutes later
I did have blood work done which showed that I was slightly anemic, blood level was 32 and they said it should be 40. It also showed my monocytes were elevated by two points, I believe it should be 10 and mine was 12, they checked for mono but said it was negative. My white count was also a little elevated but they said it was because of the recent surgery.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Let me reassure you that I am confident things will be fine in the coming days for you. Fever is not always a sign of infection - rather in your case I am sure it is a sign of inflammation that has happened in the postoperative setting.

Your body went through a manor surgery and now is in the process of organizing the healing process. The human body is astounding at healing itself and this is a fine example of that - in the early stages after surgery.

The white count slightly elevated is not surprising at all and it will return to normal within 10 days.

For you I recommend that you focus on rest, good balanced diet and hydration and mentally focusing via meditation or some form of relaxation as the mind-body connection is powerful.

I am confident you do not have C Diff as well.

Overall I am very sure you will be fine with no additional concerns. The fever should resolve within 5 days. In the meantime focus on supporting your body through the healing process.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response proves to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Low grade fever, fatigue, bloating, vaginal hysterectomy, normal ultrasound, blood test shows elevated monocytes, anemia. Treatment ? 45 minutes later
Thank you for your reply - one more question, what does elevated monocytes indicate?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello again,

Monocytes are a type of white blood cells and the number of these circulating in the bloodstream can be elevated in states of inflammation such as that which you are experiencing now. Your body has higher circulating total white blood cells and the monocytes portion of them just happens to be higher at this point - not surprising given the recent surgery.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this has been a helpful exchange for you. I am here for you if you have any additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga