Loss of hearing, 120 Db loss, weak nerve, ear ossicles damaged, treatment, surgery ?

hello, I am XXXXXXX . in 1998 i put cotton in my right ear and accidently it went inside and i loss my hearing in that ear. In 2003 i got operated by Dr XXXXXXX Abrol at FORTIS Hospital, Mohali. i was having 120 Db Loss and doctor told me that your nerve is very weak and also your bones are damaged. He took chance , did perforation of ear drum and placed artificial bones . After surgery my hearing was normal. But after 1 week it was again lost. Doctor told me it occured due to falling down of your artificial bones. Then in 2007 i again went there to consult , then he told me that it is not worthwhile to get operated again and to wear aids, also told me that your lest ear is better and you should not get operated. kindly confirm that is there any chance to get my hearing back to normal...

My email-id :- YYYY@YYYY
M.No:- 0000
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 5 hours later

From your history its clear that you had damaged your ear ossicles( small bones inside the ear) along with that you had sensineural hearing loss( related to nerve) doctor tried to reconstruct the normal ear by using synthetic ossicles and fixing the ear drum. If not successful for the first time, normally the procedure is repeated to restore it again. May be in your case, as you have significant sensineural hearing loss doctor has advised you to not to go for surgery as it would not yield good result because neural hearing loss cannot be corrected surgically. Hearing aids wouldn't help either for the same reason.

There is no possibility of getting back your normal hearing. The best you can do is to take care of the both ears and be careful not to have any physical damage of left ear.

Hope i had answered your question. I would be available to answer if you have any queries.