Loss of appetite. Feeling headache and lethargic. Having past allergies. What should be done?

My son has had a loss of appetite for a week with headaches and lethargic
He is 13 years old. He has EE and has had many past allergies . He is not growing. I feel like I have tried every doctor and specialist with no answers. He is 13 and weighs 80 lbs.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

It seems there are 2 problems here:
1. Headache, lethargy and loss of appetite for a week
2. EE - I assume as eosinophillic esophagitis with some problems in growth.

Headache, lethargy and reduced appetite that started since a week is usually constitutional symptoms associated with a viral infection. In the absence of fever and normal blood counts, it is not concerning and should improve in a couple of weeks.

Have you recorded his body temperature and was a blood test performed?

If the constitutional symptoms are severe, I would encourage you to see his pediatrician and get a complete blood count done - we need to look at his total white blood cell, hemoglobin and platelet counts. In the meanwhile good hydration, mild analgesics such as Tylenol (if he is not allergic to it) and plenty of fruits and vegetables in his diet should bring him back to normal.

Regarding the second problem, his weight seems normal to me, so can you elaborate on the growth problems he has?

Eosinophillic esophagitis is a chronic condition and the treatment is centered on prevention rather than cure. Could you also list out the test and treatment done yet, as to comment this problem better?

Awaiting your reply