Losing nail plates slowly. Hepatitis test has turned negative. Could I ask a doctor?

I have been lossing nail plates slowing for 8 months. Dermatoligist claims pathogen, did hep c test negative results. he claims nothing can be done.Any advice?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult another dermatologist and do investigations

Detailed Answer:

Based on my experience I usually carry out detailed history taking ,physical examination and various tests for my patients to rule out chronic and infectious diseases that make prognosis of nail plate infections bad.

First I check for presence of heart diseases, kidney diseases, diabetes because these conditions if not treated well will worsen nail bed infections.

Secondly I do culture and sensitivity of the nail bed to discover what microbe is causing the problem and what drugs its sensitive to.

Third I usually do tests for infectious diseases like HIV because their presence will worsen prognosis of nail bed infections.

One of patients referred to me had similar complain, I investigated and found he had HIV and when I started him on ARV and anti fungal infection for nail bed he markedly improved.

I would strongly advise you to see another XXXXXXX dermatologist before you give up and the above investigations are done. Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have more questions