Loose and greenish stool, stomach pain, taking cipro, had a CT scan, diagnosed with diverticulosis. Proper treatment?

Diagnosed with Diverticulitis last week per CT Scan. Bloodwork and stool sample showed normal white blood cells. After 2 days of IV antibotics I was released. I had to stop taking Flaygl due to a bad reaction. I'm currently only taking taking Cipro 500mg twice a day. My stool today is loose and XXXXXXX My pain has remained the same. Is this normal with the use of antibotics or does this mean the infection is worse? Will Cipro be enough to combat the Diverticulitis?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

XXXXXXX stools can be normal in some and also abnormal.It can occur due to many reasons like infection,celiac disease,IBS,Parasitic infection,iron supplements and many more.Cipro normally doesnt cause XXXXXXX stools.The colour of the stools is due to a pigment called bile.If the stool passes through the GI tract very quickly,it doesnt have time to turn its normal yellowish colour.It may appear XXXXXXX
You should observe for another day and even then if the stool is XXXXXXX you need to be investigated further.
Diverticulitis is treated with hot pads,antibiotics,pain killers.It will eventually settle down.Cipro is a broad spectrum drug and is useful against many types of pathogens.

See your doctor for a stool test if your symptoms dont improve in another 2 days.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.