Liver test showing elevated ALT. Having pimples on nose. Should I be worried?

Jun 2015

Yes, Thank you. I recently went to one of those Life Line Screening Tests in our local area. I had very good results overall. But, my liver test showed an elevated ALT of 23. I am a female who is almost 56 years old. I do need to loose 15 pounds, other than the liver test and weight issue everything else was okay. I looked up symptoms for recent nose pimples and one symptom was liver failure or cancer. Should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:

A. In absence of any specific clinical symptoms, an elevated level of ALT has no significance.
Moreover, the normal range of ALT is 10-50 U/L
In that case, a value of 23 cannot be considered as high.

B. In order to reduce weight, you need to follow a regular exercise plan & make certain modifications in your dietary habits, such as:
1. Avoid eating white breads, rice and pasta. They have high calories and increases the blood sugar level.
It is better to have complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat bread, oatmeal and brown rice.
2. Consume low fat versions of milk and cheese and avoid oily foods.
3. Have a diet XXXXXXX in low calorie protein foods such as egg whites, skinless chicken, fish, etc.
4. It is better to avoid soft drinks and fruit juices which are XXXXXXX in calories.
Instead, drink large amount of water (about 6 to 8 glasses) throughout the day.
5. Dietary fiber such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts can also be included in the diet.

C. Pimples in nose is due to:
1. Increased production of sebum an oily substance secreted by certain glands in the skin
2. Blockage of sebaceous glands
3. Infection/ inflammation of the glands
Management involves application of benzoyl peroxide & topical antibiotics under the guidance of a Dermatologist.

Liver failure or cancer comes with a whole range of other symptoms.
So, please do not get worried with such thoughts.
You are perfectly fine.

Wishing you a Healthy Life.