Liver function tests said high SGOT and SGPT, sudden raise. Meaning? What to be done?

I have had my liver function tests as part of my normal 6 month check ups for over 10 years. My average SGOT and SGPT are in the high teens or low twenties with my last result in XXXXXXX being SGOT 19 and SGPT 22. My results just released today show an SGOT of 74 and a SGPT of 40. My GGT was 23. What could this sudden, six month rise mean?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 22 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Asymptomatic elevation of liver enzymes are usually due to -
1) Transient without an obvious cause. Usually will return to normal on repeat testing
2) Non alcoholic steatohepatitis - This usually has a fatty liver, impaired glucose tolerence, abnormal lipids and obesity
3) Drugs - in your case simvastatin may be the culprit
4) HCV related hepatitis
However once in a while any cause of hepatitis may be asymptomatic
Hence consult your GI to guide you further