Lipid profile test shows cholesterol 182 and triglyceride 165. Risk of heart problem. Diet? Suggestions?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
Hello Doctor,

Recently I got my lipid profile test done and i got the below test results.
      Result     Desirable     Border line      High Risk
Total Cholestrol     182     < 150          
Triglyceride     165     < 150     200 - 400     
Chol HDL      33 mg     > 40     < 35     
Chol LDL      121 mg     < 130     130 - 160     
VRDL Serum     29 mg     < 40          
LDL : HDL      3.7     < 0.5 to 3.0          
Chol HDL Ratio     5.6     < 4     5     > 6

The total cholestrol is 182 and the Chol HDL ratio is 5.6 which is worrying me more.
My sugar results are normal. Non-Diabetic.
Can you suggest me where do I stand wrt my health status and how much risk it holds now.
Every morning when i get up from bed i feel very lazy and my both legs (below knee) muscles has pain. I feel as if my nerves are getting weak.

Background:
I work for an IT organisation as a project manager and ofcourse its a stressful job and my mind get blocked with various deadlines and service deliveries.

Habits:
No excercise, 1 or 2 pegs of scotch/ whiskey per week or fortnightly. Non-smoker.

Family: Married, living with father, wife and 2 small kids

Family History:
Dad is a diabetic
Mom passed away due to massive cardiac arrest couple of years back at the age of 52

Is my condition is really bad interms of having high risk to my heart. Please suggest me what should i follow in terms of diet, habits and any other suggestions to come out of this bad scores.
Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 19 hours later
Thank you for the query.

As I understand, you are a 37 year old male with no cardiac symptoms, sedentary lifestyle, and a positive family history of diabetes and heart disease.

The total cholesterol is within the accepted standard guidelines of 40mg/dl).

You also need to stratify risk further by doing a cardiac stress test done, a simple TMT would do. In addition, you could also get some further tests done like hsCRP level, serum homocysteine level and vit D3 levels.

In terms of treatment, you need to modify your diet, exercise and lifestyle parameters. A low fat diet with avoidance of beef, mutton and portk, reduction of oil and oily food, avoidance of fried food, reduction of ghee, butter, cheese, cream, most bakery items/pastries, taking rice once a day, avoidance of yolk, etc will be helpful. Half an hour of walking every day will be the most beneficial exercise and will help to increase HDL levels. Avoidance of stress levels and getting adequate rest every day will certainly help. Avoidance of smoking (active and passive) is paramount.

The further tests that you do will determine whether you need any drugs at this point of time. Atorvastatin or rosuvastatin can be used if necessary to get an initial control over the lipid levels.

You need to check the fasting lipid level after a period of 3 months for further risk stratification and to assess how you are responding to these initial measures.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me for any further clarifications.
With regards,

Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD, DM
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist