Lip and tongue swollen to allergic reaction. On polaramine. Can it be a food preservative?

My 9 year old seems to have had an allergic reaction to
Something we r unaware of his bottom lip on one side has swollen dramatically his tongue isn't swollen so it's not life threatening as such we have given him polaramine to help with the swelling and we have put ice on it . Our only guess us that it could be from a preservative in a food possibly a cheetos cheese flavour chip that he was eating prior to the reaction is this a possibility what can we do from here what should we do ?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

If swollen, slightly numb lips are accompanied by redness and itching, then it may be due to an allergic reaction. The course of treatment for swollen lips would depend upon the underlying cause.

If the swelling of the lip is due to food allergies, as stated by you then identify the foods responsible for the allergies and avoid eating those foods. Avoid exposure to allergens as much as possible.

In case of allergic reactions, antihistamines are prescribed. Soothing, hypoallergenic lip slaves are recommended to relieve dryness and heal cracks.

Polaramine contains antihistamine , you are using the right medication foe allergy. Other home remedies that can be used are cold and hot Compress can be useful.

I advice you to consult the doctor if there is
bluish coloration of the lips or fingernails,
feeling like your throat is tight,
fever with red and tender areas,
general edema,
intense distress and as you have mentioned swollen tongue. Keep watch on these signs if they appear see physician immediately.

I also advice you to consider any history of trauma or insect bite to that side of the lip which might be responsible for the swelling.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer