Lightheadedness, sleepiness. Taking Thyronorm for hypothyroidism. Does thyronorm affect BP levels?

Good

Endocrinologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have Hypothyroidism and have started taking Thyronorm for last 4 yrs..The time when it was identified ,My TSH was 76 and started with 75 Mcg. Later based on the test result doctor reduced it into 50 Mcg. i have done a blood test 3 months back and T3,T4,TSH all are in normal range now. Can i reduce the Mcg to 25 Mcg now ? Please suggest. also now a days i feel Lightheadedness,feeling sleepy some times.. My BP is in the range 110/70(Checked 2 months back) is it related to high dossage of the Thyronorm medicine(50 Mcg even though level are in normal range) ? Also can you please suggest what diet i can take to continue my Thyroid level in Normal ?

Thanks in Advance,
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 days later
Your thyroid levels are normal on 50 mcg of thyronorm because the medication is working. So reducing the dose is not required. However you said the levels were checked 3 months ago, and now you are experiencing symptoms that actually suggest you may not be getting enough thyroid medication. Most women need about 75-100 mcg daily. However this can vary from person to person. So the next best step is to get a blood test to get your current levels checked. The key test is the TSH which should be maintained in the range of 0.4 to 2 and the free T4 should be closer to the higher end of the range of normalcy for your laboratory.
There is no particular diet needed for this condition but avoid taking thyronorm along with calcium or iron supplements, if you are taking them
WWW.WWWW.WW and WWW.WWWW.WW have useful information for you to learn more about this condition.

Follow-up: Lightheadedness, sleepiness. Taking Thyronorm for hypothyroidism. Does thyronorm affect BP levels? 18 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for you reply. I have uploaded my latest blood test report. Please have a look into it.
Can you please also tell me the reason behind the abnormality that now a days i feel Lightheadedness,feeling sleepy some times.. My BP is in the range 110/70(Checked 2 months back)

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
I perused the report. The labs are reasonably fine. This cannot explain the symptoms that you are reporting such as sleepy and light headed. You must have these evaluated by your primary care physician/family doctor who may wish to consider referral to appropriate specialists if routine work-up does not reveal any potential cause. But your thyroid status is fine.
Regarding the blood pressure reading, few comments here: 1) This reading is 2 months old. It is imperative to know what it is now 2) Several readings over the course of days to weeks are more useful than just one-off measurements to ascertain a pattern 3) This reading represents a normal reading in many individuals 4 ) It is the comparison of readings over time that gives us an idea if anything is different now 5) Your family doctor can guide you in this matter also