Leg and back feels hot, pain around knee, pressure on leg when stood. MRI was normal. Could this be a blood clot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. My name is XXXXXXX I have this on going problem right now. For awhile I've been have back and leg problems. I have had lots of x-rays done from full body to my back and i even had a mri and they have found nothing. I have taken muscle relaxants and pain killers but it really doesn't help alot. I work as a cook in a kitchen where we stand alot. I have proper shoes, im in good health, no serious health issues. I am 26 years old.
My symptoms include:
one leg is really hot and has alot of pain like the knee area and slightly above and below it.
sometimes if i go to bend down to pick something up at work or carry something I get a sharp pain in my lower back.
sometimes my back or leg feels like its just gonna "give away"
i still get pain and the warmth if i sitting down laying down or even standing.
if i stand it feels like there's pressure on the leg that in pain and its sounds a bit weird but if my leg is really hurting i put more weight on that side.
also if i lift something my lower back and leg gets a little warm and hurts.
i have no redness swelling and any physical signs of injury and such. this has been going on for about a year and i already been to a doctor and a Orthopedic and still nothing so someone had suggested to maybe see a neurologist. i would hope it isn't something like a blood clot or something where i would need alot of surgery.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

The pain around knee and back, especially on lifting any weight is likely to be due to nerve compression at the level of spine.

Postural modification and physiotherapy are the mainstays of treatment.

If the pain killer medicines and muscle relaxants are not providing any relief then your orthopedician could prescribe you opioid analgesics which can be effective.

Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.

To know the exact cause of pain, consulting a neurologist will be helpful.

Please be reassured, this does not seem to be due to blood clot or anything which is likely to require a surgical intervention.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Leg and back feels hot, pain around knee, pressure on leg when stood. MRI was normal. Could this be a blood clot? 25 hours later
Thank you for your insight. I have done a MRI though and they say they do not see anything that would case a pinched nerve. Is there any other tests that can be done to see if there is one? while i know i can do physical therapy i would like to make absolutely sure this is the problem as my insurance does not cover any of the costs with physical therapy. Also right now I am experiencing like when i am walking the same leg with the problems. there is tightness, pain, and heat in my ankle and knee area. My main concern is can i cause permanent damage as even right now when i bend down to pick something up at work it takes me a few moments to get back up and i can feel it already in my back and even my leg.

Thanks for writing again.

MRI does not always reveal a pinched nerve.

It would be helpful to get a Nerve Conduction Velocity test done.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a nerve root compression and physical therapy will help you most.

Not going for a physical therapy may aggravate your problem further and can result in pain even during rest. It might even cause a long term discomfort if left untreated.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.