Left arm gets numb after eating dinner. Reason?

My left arm gets numb after i eat dinner
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could you please give more of your medical data?

Detailed Answer:

First of all, get relaxed, do not worry, stress will give extra problems. I would like to have some more details for further evaluation.

- Does your problem occur all the time? Or it is the first time you notice it? - If you noticed only one time, then, no problem.

- What is your age? What about your weight?

- Are you having any problem with heart disease or hypertension or diabetes? - If you did not have any problem until now, I'd suggest to do an ECG, cardiac echo, diabetes testing.

- Is the numbness sensation associated with other health problems, such as heart palpitations, chest pain, difficulty breathing? - If yes, it could be related to post-prandial hypertension, and need specific cardiologist evaluation.

- Does it take long for you to consume the meal or you eat it quickly?

- Do you keep your left elbow on the table while you are eating?

I'd also suggest not to consume heavy meals (rich in calories and carbohydrates) to avoid extra loading of your body.

If you have any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact me.
Follow-up: Left arm gets numb after eating dinner. Reason? 24 minutes later
Im 35 198 lbs i own a small company so lots of stress it happens almost every night after i eat dinner
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for sharing other medical data of yours.

Based on your information, it has more likely to do with stress overload at your job more than an organic problem.

Apart implementing healthy eating as mentioned earlier, I would also recommend to take some chamomile tea at bedtime to fight stress and some multivitamins containing Magnesium to support your muscles, joints and bones.

You should get more physical exercises, consume more water and being positive in all the things you do.

If the numbness would be associated with pain in chest or difficulty breathing, you can do cardiac tests including ECG, Echo and Holter.

All the best!