Late period, got pinkish discharge. What could be the reason?

Mar 2013
My period is ten days late it was supposed to have come on the 25th of february. I took a pregnancy test when I was three days late and it was negative. I decided to wait until another week or so, however yesterday when I had to go to the restroom when I wiped it was pinkish, i thought this was my period so i put a pad and went about my day. ater when i went to change the pad as i ususally do it was clean, nothing but when i peed it was pinkish then the rest of the evening it was clear. now this morning the pad is still clean but when i wipe it is brownish color what could this be?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 32 minutes later

As you already mentioned , with your previous pregnancies, the pregnancy tests were either not reliable, or came out positive quite late. Hence, the same possibility does exist this time around, particularly if you have had a history of irregular / delayed period. In this scenario, I would advise you to consult a gynecologist at the earliest instead of relying on further pregnancy tests at home. If indeed pregnant, you would know when the gynecologist examines you and orders a blood test / pelvic transvaginal ultrasound.

The mild spotting could be normal for an early pregnancy, could signify a possible miscarriage, or an ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) - and for all these possibilities, a home pregnancy test is again unreliable for diagnosis.

Other reasons for such erratic spotting could include - Stress, anxiety, rapid changes in weight , either rapid weight gain or rapid weight loss, emotional upheavals, frequent and hectic travelling, intake of other drugs or medications particularly hormonal preparations etc. Once in a while, even a normal woman could experience a weird period / altered bleeding like this once in a while, which is a normal deviation.

Other causes could include disturbances of thyroid function, high prolactin levels, endometrial hyperplasia or thickening leading to irregular shedding, polycystic ovarian disease etc.

As is obvious, to know the exact cause amongst these, you would again require to consult a gynecologist and have appropriate check up and evaluation including tests and scan.

Kindly consult your doctor, and have the necessary evaluation.

Take care, and please feel free to ask any further questions.
All the best.