Late for period but took birth control to delay it. Had spotting, cramping, headache and low back pain

Mar 2016

I was 4 days late for my period but was trying to take my birth control pill continuous to not have my period this month. I start spotting on the 4th day after my period was due. I continued to spot on and off for next week and half. Some reg flow but most so light it was only seen when I wiped after peeing. my cramping continued to get worse & headaches, and hip pain. low back pain. yesterday after work I pull out tampon and the attach pic of tissue came with it. I am still cramping but really no bleeding. maybe some pink when I wipe. I also took pregnancy test and its negative. please help
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fleshy Tissue Is Mostly A Conceptional Product.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your attached image. Fleshy tissue with above clinical features are mostly suggestive of conceptional product (incomplete type) due to early miscarriage in the failure of birth control pill. Other least possible cause is lining tissue of the endometrium.

However, we need to confirm the diagnosis. Therefore, I suggest to undergo one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound Scan (TVS) & blood test for beta-HCG to rule out possible miscarriage or other underlying pathology (if any). Early home pregnancy test is less significant.

After that, you must consult with your gynecologist for next line management. In case of miscarriage, you have to undergo D & C (surgical method) to evacuate uterine cavity completely. Otherwise, hormonal medication can be given on the basis of scan report to eliminate this type of problem.

Till then, you can take anti-spasmodic medication (like drotaverine) along with antacid 2-3 times to reduce abdominal cramp. Take balanced diet & drink more water. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Late for period but took birth control to delay it. Had spotting, cramping, headache and low back pain 16 minutes later
given it is the holiday weekend and my gyno is closed until Tuesday, r these tests better done today or r will it be ok to be done when next available appt is. though if cramping keeps up I will end up at clinic anyway cause of pain. thank for ur help
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do the above tests at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

It is better to do above mentioned tests at the earliest to confirm the diagnosis. It will give an idea for next management.

After that, you can take an appointment to your gynecologist on scheduled date for proper treatment. Till then, anti-spasmodic medication can be used to get relief from abdominal cramp.

If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen