Last Saturday after eating 1/2 a cheeseburger with BBQ sauce,

Question
Last Saturday after eating 1/2 a cheeseburger with BBQ sauce, my stomach began to hurt and be upset. It hurt most of the day and by late afternoon, I had diarrhea. Now when I eat it still hurts and the diarrhea continues. I am trying to eat bland foods and take Rolaids. Just wondering if this is a bug going around or something else? Very gassy and uncomfortable.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The bacteria and viruses that cause diarrhea are always circulating unfortunately.

In most cases, the symptoms resolve with minimal intervention--
(1)right now the intestines/bowel is inflamed and irritated, when solid food, even bland food, is given it will irritate it further

You should hold off solids till there is a 4 hour window with no diarrhea.

When this 4 hour window occurs, re start the bland food eg toast, biscuits, plain rice

(2)fluids and electrolyte replacement to replace the fluids lost with the diarrhea. This includes oral hydration drinks or diluted sport drinks

(3)probiotics help shorten the course of symptoms for some persons. These are usually easily available

(4)also consider pepcid or zantac with the rolaids to see the combination helps with the gassy feeling

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions