Laser hair removal treatment done on legs. Lump appeared on thigh. Could this be an ingrown hair?

General Surgeon
Hi, I'm a 32 year old female with a swollen dime sized area in the area where my upper thigh meets my groin area. About two years ago I had two laser hair removal treatments for the hair on my legs and bikini area (I never finished the rounds on my legs for the "full" treatment). Not long after, about 3 to 6 months, I had this same thing in the same exact spot -- swollen dime sized area my upper thigh. I can feel there's something round inside and it's painful to the touch. The first time this happened I brushed it off as an ingrown hair as a result of the laser hair removal. About a week later, the swelling went down but a hard nodule stayed (about half the size of a pea). It never really went away and I've never had it investigated. I meant to say something to my gynecologist, but forgot in my last annual. My pap smear was clean. Now I have this swollen area again -- could it be anything more or just an ingrown hair irritated again?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

It is extremely hard to answer your question not seeing this lump, so a photo would be very helpful.
Groin is the area where such lump can appear due to enlarged lymph node, inguinal hernia and all possible benign skin lesions (lipoma, cyst, ingrown hair, etc).
And as the skin lesions are something that can be left without medical attention; than lymph nodes and hernia should be ruled out.
Lymph node usually gives movable lump, soft and with smooth surface, usually painless, however can get painful when infected.
Hernia can appear and disappear depending of the body position. When standing and coughing, it should be visible more, when lying down, it can be invisible.
Both conditions can be diagnosed with groin ultrasound.
Benign skin lesions can be painless and soft (lipoma, sebaceus cyst) or painful, hard and with redness around it (abscess, ingrown hair).
Hernia can be repaired with surgery, lymph node should be removed and send to histopathology. Benign skin lesions can be removed with small incision.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.