Large knots like pimples under skin of neck, painful, last for a while, never resolve

I am a 28 year old female. I am getting what I think may be pimples on my neck. But they are not like normal pimples. They feel like large knots under the skin. They are painful and last awhile, but never seem to come to ahead. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms what you are experiencing.

What you are describing sounds like infected follicles of hair. This can sometimes occur where you might not experience symptoms such as pimples but would experience something like painful nodules under the skin.

What basically happens in this situation is that some bacteria get under the skin and more XXXXXXX into the follicles and in that sense they are able to set up a tiny infection. With this type of thing, it leads to the collection of some sebaceous material under the skin which can become painful at times. Your immune system is typically functional enough to slowly eliminate these overtime. However, in some patients it becomes necessary to take antibiotics to resolve these when you become more symptomatic. These are also sometimes referred to as infected Sebaceous Cysts.

What I would recommend for the time being is that, you change the soap what you use on a daily basis to one with a one with antibacterial soap. This may minimize the occurrence of these type of things. However, it may become necessary to put you on a course of antibiotics to eliminate any remaining bacteria which may be contributing to a recurrent problem. The bacteria that are responsible for this are typically Staphylococcus bacteria which are generally susceptible to prescribed antibiotic therapy or antibiotic cream.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert