LDH is high. What could be the reason?

Ldh is high .. Its not lung or heart my liver profile was normal what else??
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Elevated levels of LDH and changes in the ratio of the LDH isoenzymes usually indicate some type of tissue damage. LDH levels typically will rise as the cellular destruction begins, peak after some time period, and then begin to fall. For example, when someone has a heart attack, blood levels of total LDH will rise within 24 to 48 hours, peak in 2 to 3 days, and return to normal in 10 to 14 days. LDH levels are elevated in a wide variety of conditions, reflecting its widespread tissue distribution.

Elevated levels of LDH may be seen with:

Cerebrovascular accident (CVA, stroke)
Hemolytic anemias
Pernicious anemias (megaloblastic anemias)
Infections such as infectious mononucleosis (mono), meningitis, encephalitis, HIV
Intestinal and pulmonary infarction
Kidney disease
Liver disease
Muscular dystrophy
Bone fractures
Testicular cancer, lymphoma or other cancers
A high LDH is predictive of a poorer outlook for survival for those with testicular cancer or other germ cell tumors.

With some chronic and progressive conditions, and some drugs, moderately elevated LDH levels may persist.

Low and normal levels of LDH do not usually indicate a problem. Low levels are sometimes seen when someone ingests large amounts of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
Increased LDH may be seen with use of certain drugs such as anesthetics, aspirin, narcotics, procainamides, and alcohol (ethanol).

Many things can affect LDH results that are not necessarily a cause for concern. For example:

Strenuous exercise can cause temporary elevations in LDH.
Hemolysis of the blood specimen can cause falsely elevated results. This may happen if the specimen is handled roughly, stored in extreme temperatures, or if the sample was difficult to collect.
If your platelet count is increased, serum LDH will be artificially high and not reflective of the LDH actually present.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: LDH is high. What could be the reason? 53 minutes later
Thank you for your expert advice. I am driving myself crazy as to why this was never done before.. I have concerns becauae i had extrnsive cardio and pulmonary work up all negative exxcept some inflammatory changes in the lungs that have fotten vwtter since august. I went to dr today dir my lungs abd he said he has no reason to link the LDH with pulmonary disease. I had a lipid panel done nornal CBC and BMP labs nornal . So worried about this .
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
LDH is meant to assess many conditions

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome and thanks for writing in to us.

Tests like LDH are meant to asses many conditions and not any specific medical condition. I hope you have gone through the above list and are aware of situations in which LDH may be raised.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor