Knuckles paining, after pain subsides knuckle looks swollen. Have high BP, depression and allergies. Is it the beginning of rheumatoid arthritis?

Infertility Specialist
I am 46 years old, overweight, female with high blood pressure, depression, and allergies. My knuckles at the end of my fingers will hurt--very badly for several days. Then when the pain is gone and my finger will look different, like the knuckle has grown or has a calcium deposit on it. Is the the beginning of rheumatoid arthritis? If so what type of doctor would I see for treatment.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I read your history and understand your problem.

The pain you mentioned is in the end of fingers means the pain in distal interphalangeal joints in Medical terms. You also mention the change in appearance of your fingers / knuckles after this episode. Based on the complaints you are mentioning it appears to be reumatoid arthritis.

You can see an orthopedic surgeon for detailed examination and possibly an x-ray to evaluate the joints in your hand.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close this discussion.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol