Knees started to hurt. Noticed red, splotchy rash above knee, getting fever. Should I go for check up?

My knees started to hurt about 2 days ago. This morning, I noticed a red, splotchy rash above my right knee. It doesn't itch, but the pain in my knees has gotten worse, and I have a slight fever, 100.1. The rash isn't raised, but is creeping up my thigh. Any ideas what it could be and should I see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

There are couple of common possibilities in your case.

1. Insect bite
2. Skin infection due to any cause
3. Infection in knee

As the rash is spreading, with low fever and increase in pain, it is advisable that you visit your doctor.

At times some allergic reaction to insect bite does present like this and they need anti allergic as well as anti inflammatory drugs to take care of it.

In case of skin infection you might need anti biotic also.

In mean time please do the following which should help.

1. Take analgesics like Tylenol for pain and discomfort.
2. You can apply lacto calamine over the red area for some comfort.
3. Do not do any message to the part and wear tight clothes.
4. You can apply ice over the painful area that is not red.

Please visit a doctor.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query please accept the answer.