Knee pain, hurts when walking or standing. Had arthroscopic surgery and tear in meniscus. Had euflexa and steroid shots.

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My surgeon and I are trying to put off knee replacement until I am 60, or at least closer to 60. I had my second arthriscopic surgery December 7, 2012 and I also had a radial tear in my meniscus which was "cleaned up" in addition to smoothing out some of the more jagged arthritis. Although I had knee pain prior to tearing my meniscus, that was really what sent me to the surgeon. 8 weeks of physical therapy followed surgery, I do exercises at home and attend a water aerobics class twice per week. We have done both euflexa and steroid shots since the surgery for pain. So, my issue is that my knee hurts more now than it did before I tore my meniscus. I have a very diffcult time standing for more than 15 minutes, and walking just short distances. I concentrate to walk normally with the pain as I don't want to limp for the rest of my life and the limping throws everything else off. So my question is - 5 months after surgery seems like adequate time to heal. Why does my knee hurt so darn much?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Too much pain after 5 months of partial menisectomy is not normal. The cause of more pain and limping seems to be flare of your arthritis.
I suggest you to get a new xray of bilateral knee in standing position to see the joint space reduction and deformity due to arthritic changes.

Hope this Will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you healthy life.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.