Knee injury, calf and foot swelling, MRI showed chondromalacia and soft tissue injury. Sounds like RSD?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell after slipping in water. I fell directly onto my left knee HARD!! All my weight went to this knee on impact!! The noise could b heard thru the office !! It sounded like watermelon hit the floor ok soo now 4 wks out I have horrible calf and foot swelling ESP w sitting down once I sit for 30 mins my foot gets cool/cold and purple/ redish color and burning of my 2/3 toes have had like 5 xrays and an MRI the reports I have gotten on the MRI were 2 diff stories . 1 st story I have chondromalacia w partial thickness loss and fissure sub chondral edema . 2nd story eehhnsoft tissue injury w fluid that needs to b pulled pit( torturess) but the dr said my pain doesn't match my injury and when I told him that I've had bk surgery he said sounds like RSD?? Thoughts
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later

After a knee injury 4 weeks ago, if the swelling and changes in the skin color are persistent then it is suggestive of injury of ligaments or menisci around the knee.

You can upload your MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) reports in the box provided on the right side of the query page for a better evaluation.

The burning of your toes and change in the skin color might be indicative of a nerve compression at the knee along with local blood collection.

I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination and investigations to rule out any vascular injury and few other investigations like Doppler studies to check the blood flow to the foot.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.