Knee cap injury, quick stabbing pain. Can it be hyper entended?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I attempted a kick in martial arts and as I was landing my left knee seemed to 'pop' and gave way sending me to the ground. The structure of the knee was fine after examination but I am having pain below the kneecap and particularly in the tight tendons of the upper posterior calf (outer side). I have most of my range of motion with no ill effect...I am able to put weight on it, plant on it, and kick with it but if moved in a certain direction (45 degree angle forward and not centered underneath me), I feel the quick, stabbing pain in the upper calf again and feel like it may give way again. I am able to catch myself but the pain stops me in my tracks. Might I have hyper-extended it?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You must have hurt your XXXXXXX structures in knee while kicking, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. These injuries are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging).

Right now you can have a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief. Avoid any extreme movements with the knee. If it gives you relief you may continue taking it with regular hot fomentation for 1 or 2 weeks. A pair of knee supports can add to stability. If you don't get relief, proceed with MRI.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.