Kidney ultrasound results. Diffuse renal parenchymal disease. Advise and treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
need interpretation of my KUB ultrasound
the right kidney measures 10cm X 4.2cm with a parenchymal thickness of 1.1cm
the lrft kidney measures 11cm X 5.2cm w/ parenchymal thickness of 1.7cm
the parenchyma of both kidneys are hyper-reflective in echopattern. no stone nor hydronephrosis noted. the cortico-medullary definitions on both side are partially effaced. the perinephric are intact. Both ureters are obscured by overlying intestinal gas.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Your ultrasound findings are consistent with a diffuse bilateral kidney disease- affecting both the kidneys. Such changes do indicate a decreased renal function due to hypertension , diabetes, microvascular disease or chronic renal infections.
The exact cause of such changes can be detected after a few blood tests and renal biopsy if needed. The treatment depends on taking care of the cause and the extent of compromise of the renal function.
You can consult a nephrologist for further investigations and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Kidney ultrasound results. Diffuse renal parenchymal disease. Advise and treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer, Dr. how bad is this? what are the possible risks? Can this still be treated? What are the symptoms that it is already chronic? Thank you. I have been thru ESWL 4 times 2 years ago then a ureteral stent remanant was remove in 2010 by laparascopic nephro...
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
To know how bad it is, we need to assess renal function tests by doing a few blood tests. The effect on kidneys can be minimized by controlling the causative factors and further regression of the renal function can be prevented.
Renal function tests and renal biopsy will only help in telling how bad and how chronic it is. The appearance on the ultrasound is suggestive of a chronic damage. Clinical signs and symptoms may not appreciable.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Kidney ultrasound results. Diffuse renal parenchymal disease. Advise and treatment? 29 minutes later
in the ultrasound what suggest that it wall already chronic? What happens if it is already chronic? can there be treatment for it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Chronic renal problem usually has a generalized loss of parenchymal differentiation. Acute problems present with focal lesions.
The problem can be treated and further progression can be retarded after detecting the primary cause and treating the primary cause.