Keloids on back, symptoms of getting more. How to cure completely or any medicine to avoid more keloids?

General Surgeon
my daughter of 18 years having 6 kelloids on his back. now she is getting symptoms of 1 or 2 more. here my questions is
1. Is there is any mehtod to cure completely
2. if not,
pl. give some medicine to atleast to avoid at stage so that no more kelloids. and also to ruduce size of kelloids. suggest some better one which is 100% ok
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Keloids occur due to the overgrowth of collagen tissue at the site of insult to skin , whatever be the cause of insult to skin ( be it injury ,operation ,scratch , ear lobes piercing ,boils etc).
However, they can sometimes be confused with a hypertrophied scar. Hence, a diagnosis should always be made by a surgeon who has examined the person. People who are prone to keloids formation, develop keloids at the little insult to skin
The nature of the problem is such that it is always better to prevent keloids than to treat them. This is so as the recurrence rate is very high even with the best available treatment .
1)     There are many lines of treatment. A combination of treatments is better than single line of treatment. A Local sub lesional ( below the keloid as such) injection of long acting corticosteroids along with local anesthetics is the first line of treatment ( It is the best treatment currently available).
Cryosurgery, surgical excision , radiotherapy, interferon injection are other lines of treatment . Pulse XXXXXXX laser is another form of treatment.
2)     There is no permanent cure for it and no medicine to prevent it. The only way of preventing is avoiding skin insult wherever possible
‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”