Jumping vein in neck. What is it?

I have a vein on the right side of my neck at the bottom that is jumping its very worrisome..... can you tell me what it is
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The veins of neck are barely visible in the healthy adults and become progressively more visible in elderly but they are not pulsatile normally and should not be visible at your age.
Carotid artery is also near by and it is a pulsatile structure and can cause movement of the veins of surrounding.
Neck veins can become distented and pulsatile in congestive heart failure in that case you would have a shortness of breath as well.
An ECG, ECHO & neck vessels doppler would provide you a good clarity on the issue.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Jumping vein in neck. What is it? 8 minutes later
I have no other symptoms and it doesnt only jumps every once in awhile could it be serious
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back to HCM!
If you do not have shortness of breath and do not get up in the night due to suffocation to get a fresh window air and the problem/jumping vein is not visible all the time then it is nothing serious.
Still at times a shooting of BP can cause this, you should get you BP measured at least especially when you have the problem.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.