Joint pain in left knee, vitamin D deficiency. Taking injections. X-Ray, MRI scans done, no proper analysis. When will I get pain relief with injections?

I have been suffering from joint pain (esp in the left knee) for the past couple of years. After repeated xrays/MRI scans and opinion from several ortho doctors, I have not found a correct diagnosis(though the MRI says spondylosis). Recently, a doctor suspected Vit D deficiency and the blood test showed a value of < 5 mg. I am on some medication (weekly injections for 6 weeks included). When would I see the improvement(it is about 2 weeks now) and get a confirmation that the diagnosis is correct?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Since the X-rays and MRI tests have come out normal, it rules out common cause of knee pain like osteoarthritis.

The vitamin D levels are definitely low in your case and the injections that you are getting are vitamin D injections. This is the likely cause for the joint pains in your case.

Generally we give such patients vitamin D supplements by mouth for a period of several weeks to several months. Less commonly, vitamin D is given as an injection through a vein in your arm. This will take several weeks for the levels to come back to normal.

Moreover, if your blood levels of calcium or phosphorus are low, you may take supplements of those minerals as well. You should get your calcium and phosphorus levels estimated.

After 3-4 weeks, get your vitamin D levels and calcium and phosphorus levels estimated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health.